Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Love Lines are invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, January 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST. For more publishing opportunities, go to: http://spectrumpublishing.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 7, 2023

Caleb Delos-Santos

Before and Now.

 

Before I touched this Colorado snow,

Before I picked each puffy fleeting piece,

Before my wrinkling fingers let it go,

Before leftover snow poked each palm crease,

I prayed for freezing days and Break’s release.

And now, as floating rain parades our street,

And now, as Winter’s manna gleams our feet,

And now, as SHE frosts me with graceful rays,

And now, as LOVE touches this icy sleet,

I cannot help but thank the Holidays.


 


Reflections After a Winter Engagement with Glow Sticks.

 

Glow sticks light

Love tonight

As we kiss

With Ringed bliss.

 

Glow sticks show

Kids in snow

As we prance,

Plan, and dance.

 

Glow sticks flare

Hearts who dare

As we rage,

“We’re engaged!”

 

Glow sticks gleam

As we dream. 

Glow sticks free

You and me.


 

Finding Lightning in a Chick-fil-a.

 

Hey, my Love. 

I just wanted to let you know:

You look so adorable as you tirelessly labor on your play

In this busy family-ridden Chick-fil-a.

 

You probably think your face reads,

frustrated or even inwardly humiliated.

 

But, I just wanted you to know.

Your efforts are remarkable to me.

 

To me, every squint, 

Frowning,

Twitch,

And awkwardly sweet face-picking

Screams,

 

Intriguing,

Daring,

Revolutionary,

And

 

Electrifying.

 

Every keyboard slap

Or excited foot tap

Makes me wonderfully feel

Like I’m magically dating 

 

Lightning

 

In a jean-jacket hoodie.

 

You’re undeniably a fiery, 

crackling beauty.

 

So, please, keep whittling and energizing your life-bringing stories and plays

Because I believe in you.

I would be an idiot not to.

And, as James’s Robot-father-bro in Treasure Planet would always say, 

I know 

You’re going to rattle the stars some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alicia Mathias

    for: J.A.F. MY LATE GRANDMOTHER'S  LONG-LOST PEARL returns  to its  setting