Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Love Lines are invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, January 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST. For more publishing opportunities, go to: http://spectrumpublishing.blogspot.com

Monday, January 9, 2023

Alicia Viguer-Espert

The Return

 

I return to my city,

search in the cafe La Alameda,

the young hand holding a wine glass,

his gaze distant and profound.

 

I return to my city

where every adolescent resembles

the one I knew so well but never knew,

nor understood the consuming flame

 

burning his wings of moth,

his difficulties untying knots from

strings holding back his grasshopper legs,

while being propelled by fire.

 

I return to my city,

cross a whole ocean to hear

his voice in the evening news,

a local station commenting on his work,

 

those documentaries of life in Africa,

savannah, desert, lakes, wilderness,

his love for open skies, and I remember

exactly when those fraying cords were cut

 

on that summer night

when I said, I couldn’t be sure,

perhaps it wasn’t love, but plain desire,

and you said that desire was never plain. 

 

 

 

Love Matter


I believe in science

one steps out of the blue

sphere of narrow perspectives

borders disappear into dust motes

of cosmic choreography.

 

It’s impossible not to acknowledge

how small and equal we are

what nurtures us must feed

the planet’s rhythmic breath;

selfishness is a genetic error.

 

Science reveals Love’s creativity,

its oxygen causes history to combust,

connect, fill every crack of life

behaving just like Dark Matter

that 95% of mass we cannot see.

 

Subtly it affects us, shapes

Galaxies, holds them in place

by a gravitational field engineered

by what we cannot understand,

Love Matter.

 

 

 

Love Lines

 

He lay down,

you can touch,

he whispered.

 

The cold stars gazed down

from their dark dome

pedaling their tricycles

farther away.

 

He was warm

and close.

Like a moth

I got too close.

 

My wings

singed to their roots

smell of ashes preceding

the smoked mind 

my eyes could not see.

 

In the end

it wasn’t satori

but sati.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Alicia Mathias

    for: J.A.F. MY LATE GRANDMOTHER'S  LONG-LOST PEARL returns  to its  setting