Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Love Lines are invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, January 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST. For more publishing opportunities, go to: http://spectrumpublishing.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 7, 2023

Simone Wilson

I Slowed Down

 

I slowed down this morning just for a minute.

And before I knew it; the pain crept in.

You see I wanted to stop and gather my thoughts.

I wanted to look at the sparrows playing under the tree.

I wanted to thank a magnificent God for a magnificent day.

I just stopped long enough to hear Anita Baker ask the question,

“Have I told you I loved you lately?”

I was trapped by my emotions. I couldn’t run, I couldn’t hide.

I couldn’t push the off button on the radio.

Her sweet refrain repeated the question.

“Have I told you I loved you lately?”

It hurt too bad to answer.

I wanted to say, “Yes, I tell him daily in my heart”.

Instead, a lump grew slowly in my chest, choking off my breath.

From now on, I’ll just keep it moving.



 

She Walks

 

Every day she walks.

Shuffling slowly down the sidewalk.

Placing one foot agonizingly in front of the other.

What’s going on inside her head?

Does she reminisce of times when her step was quick?

Her back was straight.

Does she long for the curves that turned men’s heads?

 

Horns blow impatiently as she drags across the street.

Stray dogs nip at her heels as she passes.

What are the lyrics to the melody she hums?

Is it a song about lovers in days gone by?

Is it a story of hard times and empty arms?

 

Will walking help her forget?

If she stops will her world stop too?

So she walks.

Her life clutched tightly to her bosom.

 



What Does Your Love Look Like?

 

What does your love look like?

Tell me because I can’t find it.

I looked across the horizon.

But I was blinded by the sun.

I searched the four corners of the earth.

Yet your love could not be found.

Once I checked under my bed.

Just in case you hid it there.

 

What does your love look like?

Tell me please that I may find it.

I went to the lost and found.

But no one had turned it in.

I sifted through your bureau drawer.

Memories of others were scattered there.

I will search until I find it.

If indeed it does exist.

After all, you say it’s mine.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Alicia Mathias

    for: J.A.F. MY LATE GRANDMOTHER'S  LONG-LOST PEARL returns  to its  setting