Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Love Lines are invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, January 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST. For more publishing opportunities, go to: http://spectrumpublishing.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Lori Wall-Holloway

Smile with Love

(Dedicated to Baby Miles)

 

Wide toothless grin

of six-month-old baby

brightens gloomy day

His laughter and efforts

at conversation

using his own expressive

language demonstrates

a love for people and life

only a smiling infant

can teach




Realization


High School Drama

Alone

On stage

I begin to speak -

 

“O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?”

 

As I recite Juliet’s love

lines, a part of me wonders

if a young man is in

my future with the ability

to show heartfelt care

 

TV shows formed fantasies

of how relationships

should be, but inexperience

caused me to walk away

from a genuine love

waiting on the sidelines

Instead, I chose a path

with someone else

that did not turn out

how I expected

 

Would I go back to those dark days

to decide differently?

 

Or would other kinds of heartaches

transpire to shape me?

 

Like a cabinet being sanded

to the real wood

or a butterfly pushing out

of a cocoon

I realize no matter what

decision was made

trials would still  

occur to peel layer after

layer of myself to reach

the person I have become

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alicia Mathias

    for: J.A.F. MY LATE GRANDMOTHER'S  LONG-LOST PEARL returns  to its  setting