Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Love Lines are invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, January 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST. For more publishing opportunities, go to: http://spectrumpublishing.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 7, 2023

Jim Babwe

A Game Under the Lights in Early August


Artist, biologist,
chemist, dentist, educator,
florist, geologist,
Harpo Marx fan,

Idiot, journalist,
kick boxer, laborer,
macaroni maker.

Missed opportunities.

I filled out the rest
of the alphabet
and should have included
another word in place
of laborer but thinking
only of myself
in those days
was a serious oversight.

Y is for the name
of a tall, beautiful girl
with long dark hair
who showed up to a baseball game
played under lights in early August--
the last local game for me.

She sat halfway up the bleachers
behind home plate, but 10 feet
or so toward my team's dugout.

I remember
what I wanted to be,
but not who I would be without.

I remember thinking
about saying hello,
but I did not know
at the time
that I wasted
my last
and only chance
in a moment I missed
after the game we won
which no longer
matters.

I don't
even remember
the score.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alicia Mathias

    for: J.A.F. MY LATE GRANDMOTHER'S  LONG-LOST PEARL returns  to its  setting